Tuesday 4 June 2013

Shakespearean Research(tis the east and Juliet is the sun)

But, soft, what light through yonder window breaks?
It is the east, and Juliet  is the sun.
Arisde, fair sun, and kill the envious moon,
Who is already sick and pale with grief
That thou, her  maid, art far more fair than she.
Be not her maid, since she is envious,
Her vestal livery is  but sick and green,
It is my lady, O it is my love:
O that she knew she were!
Her  eye discourses , I will answer it.
I am too bold, 'tis not to me she speaks:
Two of the fairest stars in all the heaven,
Having some business, do entreat her eyes
To twinkle in their spheres till they in her head?
The brightness of her cheek would shame those stars,
As daylight doth a lamp; her eyes in heaven
Would through the airy region stream so bright
That birds would sing and think it were not night.
See how she leans her cheek upon her hand!
O that I were a glove upon that hand,
That I might touch that cheek.

Inorder to develop your acting skills you need to watch how other people's interpretation looks like and make things your own and see how they create their worlds and compare them to your own acting with the feedback that you are often given. In class we watched different interpretations of the above monologue and then compared them to the other interpretations and see who we thought were more truthful; in the moment. The first video we saw was a traditional one:



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSSLN4lSZM4&list=PL33B4BE0DC2D18D62
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8CYjM002qU&list=PL33B4BE0DC2D18D62
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C66ZNGq--D0&list=PL33B4BE0DC2D18D62
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRHkFik9QY0&list=PL33B4BE0DC2D18D62
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3MiaSG1SMQ&list=PL33B4BE0DC2D18D62
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0qao2xINsE&list=PL33B4BE0DC2D18D62
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OcU70BeZsY&list=PL33B4BE0DC2D18D62

In general there were some I particularly liked. For example the BBC (Ashley Walters) one because I felt I can relate to that since it was more truthful and sweet. However, I also liked the Royal Drama School one because of his interpretation of the text; it made it stand out because of how unique it was. In other words He  gave the shakesperean text life. There were some interpretations that I was  not sure of; it came across as reflective acting. But, I then, compared them to how I acted and saw quite a few similarites so I now know what sort of things to work on and how to play with my speeches in a naturalistic way; which is being in the moment. I also felt that in a few of the speeches there was forced emotions and others did not understand the text and so it came across in that way because of the one and the way in which the monologue. So, I now know how crucial it is to actually know the whole monologue alongside the play as well inside and out. There were some that I felt played it  a bit safe; in their comfort zones and didn't really let go because there was a lot of good potential actors I had seen. A couple of them rushed their lines as a result to this; couldn't seperate and change their thoughts,  they didn't allow us in their world they were a bit selfish.
It also made me realise that not enough preparation goes into my monologue; as in colouring the text bringing the monologue and lastly playing the character without holding back.








1 comment:

  1. As claimed by Stanford Medical, It is really the ONLY reason women in this country live 10 years longer and weigh on average 19 KG less than us.

    (And realistically, it has totally NOTHING to do with genetics or some secret exercise and really, EVERYTHING to do with "how" they are eating.)

    P.S, What I said is "HOW", and not "what"...

    TAP this link to find out if this little test can help you discover your real weight loss potential

    ReplyDelete